Part-time Assistant Farm Manager
Summary of Organization:
Whitelock Community Farm is a resident supported urban farming effort in Reservoir Hill, Baltimore, Maryland. The goals of the Farm are to: pursue affordable sustainable fresh food sources, provide neighborhood job creation, and help revitalize the neighborhood through greening and positive community activity.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES: We are seeking a dynamic individual to support a broad range of activities on our farm. The Assistant Farm Manager is a part time position. The Assistant Farm Manager will report directly to the Whitelock Community Farm Manager.
- Volunteer training and management
- Must be comfortable working with all age groups
- Assist in educational and other programs with our neighbor partners
- Field production
- Seasonal planning
- Greenhouse cleanliness, maintenance, planting
- Oversee field maintenance (mowing, weeding, etc)
- Plan for soil development, pest management, etc.
- Manage the community compost drop off
- Maintain and record information/documentation such as production, farm management practices, etc.
- Aid in the expansion site of the Farm
- Assist in the harvesting, washing and prepping of produce for the markets and CSA
- Social media
- Post to Facebook regularly
- Assist with social media outreach
- Property management
- Watering and opening cold frames and hoophouse in hot weather
- General administrative support, as needed
- Assist with the representation the farm in public forums as necessary with stakeholders and opinion leaders
- Participate in farm events, potlucks, community activities, etc.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Applicant should be experienced and capable of safely operating heavy equipment without direct supervision
- Must have 1 years farm production experience
- Valid Driver’s License
- Ability to complete manual labor including sitting, bending, and lifting and/or moving items weighing from 20-50+ pounds. Good vision abilities are needed for close vision, distance vision, and color vision.
- Ability to work outdoors in extreme weather for extended periods of time
- Willing to work flexible work schedule, including weekends when needed
- Basic knowledge of MS office and other basic computer skills is a plus
- Flexible, energetic, with a strong work ethic
- Aware of and sensitive to working in multiple socio-economic settings and with multi-cultural groups
- Strong decision–making skills
- Comfortable with a team approach to programming and the ability to manage several activities
- Ability to interact skillfully and diplomatically with numerous counterparts
- Knowledge of gardening and organic methods of producing food
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS: Modest salary is supplemented with organic produce and the potential for an AmeriCorps educational stipend.
POSITION START DATE: February 1, 2014 or as soon as the position has been filled.
DEADLINE: To apply, please provide a work history or resume and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.