The Whitelock Community Farm will be hiring a new Farm Manager this year and we would like that person to start very soon. Please share our Job Posting with your networks.
Whitelock Community Farm
922 Whitelock Street Unit 4
Baltimore, MD 21217
Summary of Organization:
Whitelock Community Farm is a resident supported urban farming effort in Reservoir Hill, Baltimore, Maryland. The goals of the Farm are to: pursue affordable sustainable fresh food sources, provide neighborhood job creation, and help revitalize the neighborhood through greening and positive community activity.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES: We are seeking a dynamic farm manager to support a broad range of activities on our farm. The Farm Manager will be responsible for staff and volunteer management, farm operation, seasonal planning, and general farm maintenance at Whitelock Community Farm. The farm manager will report directly to the Whitelock Community Farm Board.
- Staff Management
- Scheduling, organize daily and weekly tasks for staff and volunteers
- Training and evaluation reporting to Whitelock Farm Board
- Tools and Inventory Management
- Keep records of tools and inventories
- Report and replace tools as needed
- Ensure proper use of tools with staff and volunteers
- Volunteer training and management
- Conduct volunteer orientation, as needed
- Organize jobs and tools to keep volunteers busy
- Assist in leading groups on farm
- Identify tasks and tools to suit individual needs/abilities
- Field production
- Seasonal planning
- Greenhouse cleanliness, maintenance, planting
- Oversee field maintenance (mowing, weeding, etc)
- Plan for soil development, pest management, etc.
- Manage the community compost drop off
- Maintain and record information/documentation such as production, farm management practices, etc.
- Plan for the expansion site of the Farm with the Whitelock Farm Board
- Lead point person for farmers markets: communication, prepping product, staffing, pricing and set-up
- Oversee CSA:
- Advertise for shares, organize membership database
- Weekly communications with members of available produce and changes in scheduling
- Provide recipes, and alternative recipes for new foods
- Organize harvest, washing and presentation
- Other: Urban Farm Alliance, mobile market
- Send availability lists, prepare orders, coordinate delivery for markets on Saturday
- Social media
- Post to Facebook weekly
- Contribute to email campaigns for volunteers, CSA, general supporters via Mail Chimp
- Property management
- Watering and opening cold frames and hoophouse in hot weather
- Liaising with groups on property after hours (Board, RHIC etc.)
- Administrative Work
- Grant writing assistance by providing data sets of sales, harvested amounts, volunteer numbers, etc
- Ensure time sheets of all employees are completed and verified.
- General administrative support, as needed
- Represent the farm in public forums as necessary with stakeholders and opinion leaders
- Advise and communicate with the WCF Board for decisions
- Assist with development and implementation of WCF Events and tours at the Farm
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Applicant should be experienced and capable of safely operating heavy equipment without direct supervision
- Must have >2 years farm production experience
- Valid Driver’s License and reliable transportation
- Strong preference for applicants who have a willingness to reside within the Reservoir Hill neighborhood
- Ability to complete manual labor including sitting, bending, and lifting and/or moving items weighing from 20-50+ pounds. Good vision abilities are needed for close vision, distance vision, and color vision.
- Ability to work outdoors in extreme weather for extended periods of time
- Willing to work flexible work schedule, including weekends when needed
- Basic knowledge of MS office and other basic computer skills is a plus
- Flexible, energetic, with a strong work ethic
- Aware of and sensitive to working in multiple socio-economic settings and with multi-cultural groups
- Strong decision–making skills
- Comfortable with a team approach to programming and the ability to manage several activities
- Ability to interact skillfully and diplomatically with numerous counterparts
- Knowledge of gardening and organic methods of producing food
- Ability to multi-task
- Work independently
- Proven ability to work with a variety of people
- Confidence in operating heavy equipment and safely handle food
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS: Modest living stipend is supplemented with health insurance, an AmeriCorps education stipend, and organically grown produce.
POSITION START DATE: October 1 or as soon as the position has been filled.
To apply, please provide a work history or resume and cover letter email@example.com