Reservoir Hill – “Grow it, Eat it, Sell it” Mentorship
In 2013 Whitelock Community Farm will be partnering with Baltimore City Master Gardeners and CGRN (Community Greening Resource Network) to hold vegetable gardening and business classes in Reservoir Hill and connect three Reservoir Hill residents (trainees) with Master Gardening mentors and resources for FREE.
- Gardening classes- Held at JEH Recreation Center, Thursdays from 6:30pm – 8:45pm, March 14 – April 18th. Topics include:
- Healthy dirt and compost
- Garden design and layout
- Vegetables and their growing needs
- Making the most out of your garden
- Planting crops and garden maintenance
- Managing pests
- Classes led by Baltimore City Master Gardeners
- Trainees will receive a binder full of resources and helpful tips
- Trainings on how to market and sell produce to be held in the fall of 2013
Getting the garden started
- Access to a garden plot in one of the neighborhood community gardens, if gardening space is needed.
- Free soil testing, soil amendments, seedlings, seeds, access to tools, and water.
- A one-on-one Master Gardening mentor to help with planning the garden and troubleshooting. The mentor will not do the physical labor for the trainee but will be available to answer question, advise, check in and connect the trainee with helpful resources.
- Trainees will be able to sell their produce in the neighborhood next to the Whitelock Community Farm stand on Saturdays from 10am – 1pm.
- We ask that trainees share their knowledge and veggies with other. It is our hope that 1st year trainees become 2nd year mentors to sustain the program.
Trainees will be selected from an application process based on their 1) interest in learning how to garden, 2) need, 3) ability and 4) capacity to succeed.
Interested in applying? Contact Elisa at email@example.com or (410) 205 – OKRA  by March 1, 2013.